NOTICE FOR CLASS of 2020 INDUCTEES: (Updated 10 March) If you are a Selectee for induction into the 2020 Class, please keep your schedule free for the months of April and May. The dates for the individual group inductions have been tentatively set, but could change due to 1) COVID-19 restrictions in place at that time, 2) hazardous weather conditions, and 3) facility considerations. Please see the updated information under the heading “Concept of Induction Ceremony” below.
IMPORTANT COVID-19 UPDATES (10 March): Please click on both and read the latest CDC and the Governor’s guidance.
- CDC Public Health Recommendations for Fully Vaccinated People.
- Governor Ducey’s Executive Order on COVID-19.
STATUS OF SELECTION PROCESS
- Update of 15 Dec: The Governor has approved 23 veterans for induction into the the AVHOF. See below concept of individual Induction Ceremonies.
- 10 Nov: The Recommended Selectee List remains pending the Governors approval. Due to the Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Years holiday season, at the minimum, we do not anticipate having the five induction ceremonies outlined below in the Concept of Induction Ceremony until January or February.
- 12 Sep: Upon completion of the Background checks, 23 Nomination packets were submitted to the Governor’s Office through the ADVS Director. If approved by the Governor, the Selectees become Inductees. This normally happens sometime in August, but obviously cannot be expected now until late September or October. The UAV Chair will then telephone the Nominators of the now Inductees and ask them to notify the Inductee of their selection for this year’s class. Letters to the Nominators of the non-selectees are mailed at this time, asking that they update their nominations and resubmit them for consideration for next year’s class.
- 19 Jun: The AVHOF Selection Panel completed its evaluations of the 43 nominations for this year’s class via a Zoom conference, recommending 24 outstanding veterans as Selectees. The UAV Board of Directors certified the list of Selectees and initiated background investigations on the 26th of June.
- 18 May: The AVHOF Screening Panel completed their evaluation of 56 nomination submissions and asked 13 Nominators to resubmit their nominations with corrections for next year’s class.
- 30 Apr: AVHOF Nomination Submission Period closed for the Class of 2020. Nominators of 17 non-compliant Nomination packets were given 18 days to bring their packets into compliance with AVHOF Criteria/Guidelines.
- 31 Mar: The AVHOF Nomination Submission Period was extended due to the constrains imposed by COVID-19 Pandemic guidelines.
CONCEPT OF INDUCTION CEREMONY (updated 5 March)
- Due to the continuing and ever-changing guidance on restrictions regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, UAV’s Board of Directors developed the following outline for the induction of this year’s AVHOF Class.
- The official date of the induction of the Class of 2020 will be on Friday, the 23rd of October, however, the inductees will receive their honors at different dates and locations during February 2021.
- The state will be divided into three presentation locations:
- Northern (Flagstaff – tentative 13 May), location TBD, three inductees,
- Southern (Tucson – tentative 11 May), location TBD, two inductees, and a
- Greater Phoenix Metropolitan area which will again be subdivided into four presentation events spread over the two week period of 14-26 May at the State HQ of the Arizona Dept. of Veterans’ Services (ADVS). Six or less on each date.
- A small official party consisting of seven (7) persons, including a cinematographer and a photographer, will travel to these locations to make the presentations.
- Small groups of two to six inductees will be honored at each location and event date, separated by time increments of 30 minutes for arrival and personal induction ceremonies.
- Within each group, each inductee will be provided with a private induction ceremony, keeping within COVID-19 guidelines in place at that time, including the wearing of masks whenever photographs are not being taken.
- The Inductee will be allowed to have one person (their support person or other designee) accompany them at the presentation in addition to their nominator.
- Inductees will receive a presentation box containing all items normally given to an Inductee at a normal Induction Ceremony.
- For updated information, please check back to this webpage.
- After checking, if you still have a question, contact AVHOF Induction Ceremony Committee Co-Chairs Rob Welch and Reggie Yates at email@example.com